Our Sustainability policy
CICLOPOSSE Bike Tours is committed to minimize the impact of Cycling vacations offered.
The purpose of this policy is to establish good practices.
This policy applies to all employees and partners, for the moment it does not apply to suppliers.
The management is responsible for implementing the company’s sustainability policy
Sustainability management & legal compliance
Cicloposse Bike Tours leadership is wholly committed to the company’s sustainability performance and endorses the company’s sustainability mission statement and policy.
We will use the Travelife platform to report on our sustainability progress and to monitor and evaluate progress. We are committed to (publicly) communicating our sustainability performance (by means of the Travelife report) every two years.
We commit to continuous improvement of sustainability practices, including the ongoing monitoring and evaluation of our sustainability policy, with dedicated personnel and resources to achieve our sustainability goals.
We follow all local, regional, national, and international regulations as they relate to human resources, human rights, children’s rights, land rights, environmental management, wildlife, and land use. We follow a strict Code of Ethics, including a zero-tolerance policy for corruption, bribery, forced labor, and discrimination.
& human rights
We recognize that our employees are our biggest asset for delivering meaningful travel experiences to our customers. Therefore, we maintain a clear human resource policy to ensure:
- Legal compliance in all regards
- A safe, healthy, and welcoming workplace
- Fair contract conditions including fair compensation
- Training opportunities including trainings on topics of sustainability, sexual harassment and exploitation in the workplace and in the industry
- Participation in the sustainability planning activities
- Inclusion and equal opportunity for all employees, particularly with regard to compensation, promotion, distribution of benefits, and professional development opportunities.
Environmental management of office operations
We are committed to keeping the direct footprint of our business operations as minimal as possible and actively follow the 5Rs refuse, reduce, reuse, repurpose, recycle, sustainability and environmentally-sound principles.
We have the following measures in place:
- Follow all local and national regulations concerning environmental law
- Measure, monitor, and evaluate use of all commodities and products purchased, especially in terms of water, waste, energy, and carbon
- Procure office supply. locally, seasonally, fair trade, in bulk, with limited packaging, sustainability certified whenever possible
- Print only when absolutely necessary, and when printing, always print double-sided on greyscale.
- Paper must always be FSC, with preference for the highest percentage postconsumer materials
- Energy saving measures are in place in all common areas
- All equipment and lighting is energy-efficient and turned off/unplugged/on sleep mode when not in use
- Water saving measures are in place in all common areas and restrooms, including water capture in external areas
- Waste is separated into the following categories: plastic, organic, paper products, metal, hazardous, glass, e-waste, waste to landfill and is disposed of properly by municipality
- Noise, light, and air pollution is minimised
We are committed to reducing our carbon footprint and endeavours to reduce the amount we travel as much as possible by:
- Reduce the amount we travel as much as possible
- Monitoring and measuring carbon footprint with the aim to reduce as much as possible and offset remaining amounts.
- Encouraging remote work whenever possible, and when it is not possible, making it easier for employees to limit their carbon footprint by use of eco modes of transportation.
- We commit to offsetting our remaining direct and indirect carbon from travel and fossil energy use via Carmacal
- Implementing procedures such as following proper maintenance for vehicle fleet, offering incentives such as bike free use.
- Installing energy efficient equipment and appliances
Our offices are located in a rural area and abides by all local land use laws, respects local cultural and natural resources in our business operations, and favours sustainable architecture and design.
- We are committed to sourcing its products and services responsibly, avoiding harmful impacts on society, culture and nature as much as possible. We expect the same level of engagement and commitment from our suppliers.
- We prefer to work with partners that share the company’s commitment towards sustainability. This means that we prefer partners that have a written sustainability statement as an integral part of their business policy and/or a clear sustainability policy in place.
- We prefer to work with suppliers in the destinations that are locally owned or managed, use local and seasonal products and services and benefit the local community by hiring locally and equitably and by providing fair working conditions.
- Whenever possible, we prefer to select partner companies that comply with tourism specific, internationally recognized (GSTC-accredited) certifications, or other sustainability certifications like B Corp or ISO.
- We offer incentives for partners that are actively engaged in sustainable operations.
code of conduct
We expects our suppliers to adhere to the following responsible business practices:
- Complying with all local, regional, national and international regulations
- Respecting all human rights including labour rights, children’s rights, and women’s rights
- Committing to fair employment conditions
- Following anti-corruption, anti-bribery, anti-extortion, and anti-discrimination policies
- Protecting children from (sexual) exploitation through tourism
- Protecting the environment and natural resources
- Acting in the best interest of local communities
- Protecting the interests of Cicloposse Bike Tour
- Following a zero-tolerance policy, we will immediately terminate any relationships with suppliers that violate our policies and Code of Conduct , specifically through acts of bribery, corruption, discrimination, and violation of human rights.
- We raise awareness amongst our suppliers to adopt sound social and environmental practices, and to minimise their carbon footprint.
- We actively collaborate with suppliers to improve their sustainability performance. We encourage our suppliers to continuously learn about sustainability and provide/support this learning whenever possible.
- We maintains open lines of communication with our suppliers and partners and encourage feedback from our stakeholders at any time and on any topic, particularly sustainability.
- We only work with partner agencies that adhere to the company’s Code of Conduct In the entire process of developing and operating our travel packages,
- We expect our partner agencies to act in the best interests of the surrounding communities and environment as well as our guests.
- We provide partner agencies opportunities for sustainability learning and management, including free access to the Travelife online learning and reporting platform.
- We only work with transport providers that adhere to the company’s Code of Conduct
- When selecting transport for guests and business related travel, we commit to choosing the most environmentally friendly options available for travelling to, from, and within the destination – taking into consideration distance, price, route, and comfort.
- We have implemented clear guidelines for reducing GHG emissions from transport and selecting the most environmentally friendly transport options, including the following measures:
- Preferring ground transport over air transport for short-haul travel destinations
- Avoiding in-destination flights as much as possible
- Offering rail-and-fly transport to and from the airport
- Using public transportation options in the destinations
- Using appropriate vehicle sizes for group sizes and purchasing most efficient vehicles available
- Training drivers on eco-driving techniques
- Use as much as possible Bikes
- We endeavour – and have a system in place – to measure and compensate for the unavoidable GHG emissions produced from transportation. Compensation costs are either included by default in the package price or compensation is actively promoted to the clients as a booking option.
- We only work with accommodations that adhere to the company’s Code of Conduct
- In the accommodation selection process, we consider the sustainability practices of an accommodation by taking into account their sustainability management and social and environmental footprint.
- We favour the selection of accommodations that respect and protect land use, as well as respectfully highlight elements of local architecture, customs and traditions
- We only work with excursion providers that adhere to the company’s Code of Conduct
- All excursions and activities run by or on behalf of Cicloposse bike Tours respect local customs, traditions, cultural integrity, and natural resources.
- We commit to not offering any excursions that harm humans, wildlife, environment, or natural resources such as water and energy.
- We give preference to excursions and activities that benefit local communities, respect animal welfare and support environmental protection.
- We have clear guidelines & Codes of Conduct in place for environmentally and culturally sensitive excursions offered by or on behalf of the company. These guidelines are actively communicated to guests as well as distributed and implemented by excursion providers and guides.
- We provide excursion and attraction providers opportunities for sustainability learning and management, including free access to the Travelife online learning and reporting platform.
- We commit to hiring qualified local guides, drivers or other local staff, paying them living wages and providing safe and fair working conditions. We expect the same from our suppliers that are hiring local staff on behalf of Cicloposse bike Tours
- We understand that guides are the intermediaries between the guests and the socio-cultural and environmental context of the destination, conveying the appropriate behaviour to them. Therefore, we make sure that all guides hired by or leading tours on behalf of Cicloposse bike Tours are trained regularly and knowledgeable in the sustainability topics of the destination.
- Our guides are specifically trained on the critical issue of sexual exploitation of children in tourism.
- We provide guides with learning opportunities on sustainability topics including providing free access to the Travelife online learning platform
- We prefer to work in destinations that have committed to sustainability as an integral part of community and destination development.
- We aim to send visitors to secondary or lesser-known tourist areas to avoid over tourism and secondary roads and quite to avoid traffic during cycling
- We do not support destinations that have a questionable human rights track record.
Contribution to local communities and local economic network
We commit to positive contribution to the destinations in which we operate, by:
- Sourcing locally and responsibly, and supporting local and traditional arts and culture
- Encouraging guests to shop responsibly and educating them about illegal/prohibited/forbidden souvenirs
- Collaborating with other local tourism stakeholders, including local government, other tourism businesses, academia, community groups, to further the sustainable tourism development of the destination
- Respecting and advocating for all human rights (i.e. children’s rights, women’s rights, labour rights, etc.) as well as land rights
Environmental stewardship in destinations
We commits to environmental stewardship in the destinations in which we operate by:
- Ensuring natural resources remain intact
- Educating guests about the principles of responsible travel and responsible visitor behaviour
Customer communication and protection
Our customer protection is our priority.
- Legal compliance in all regards
- Customers and their data are protected
- Customers know how their information is being used
- We strive to be truthful in all situations and at all times.
- We offer products and services that do what we claim in our communications. We honour our explicit and implicit commitments and promises.
- We are anti-green washing and stand behind our sustainability claims 100%.
- We endeavour to be inclusive and representative in our marketing, and to always take into account cultural, religious, and ethnic sensitivities.
Customers are informed about the social and environmental impact of their journey, and are educated about the sustainable choices they can make, including transparent communication on:
- Certified accommodations
- Compensation of their trips CO2 emissions
- Activities and excursions that benefit the local communities and environmental protection
- Responsible shopping and illegal souvenirs
Our company aim for all customer experiences to be positive, and follows strict health and safety, marketing, and excursion policies to ensure customer satisfaction.
These policies cover specific topics of:
- Health and safety
- Emergency procedures
- Group numbers
- Greenhouse Gas emissions and offsetting
- Sexual exploitation
- Children in tourism
- Satisfaction and complaint
We maintains open lines of communication with our customers and encourages feedback at any time and on any topic, particularly sustainability.
All staff are responsible for the ownership and undertaking of this policy.
All staff are responsible for the promotion and implementation of this sustainability policy within their departments.
The implementation of this policy will be lead by the Sustainability Coordinator, Giuliana Mulas, who can be reached at email@example.com
This policy is effective from December 2022
We achieved TraveLife partner certification level on December 13 2022
This policy have been revised by July 2023
This policy will be revised by December 2023